Thursday, July 22, 2010

Can I use the first name in the salutation?

I applied for a job and addressed it to Dr. Jane Doe. I received a reply and the person signed off as Jane. When I reply, can I use Dear Jane or should I continue with the formal Dr. Doe?

Can I use the first name in the salutation?
Stick with the formal method...always. When you get the job and you get to know her more, then things will be different and you will, at one point, begin using her first name if she does that to you.
Reply:If she signed it off as Jane then she is indiciating that this is what she prefers to be known as, so this is what I would call her.





It depends what country she is from. In places like UK, Ireland, USA, Canada etc, we move to first-name basis very quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment